And Then There is the Galley

Last weekend, we decided to rip out the galley almost entirely.

  Before.

Before.

Note the tile, the rubber-banded-together faucets. The impssible-to-clean beadboard that we settled for in the impatient months before heading out the first time.

We'd decided that a while ago, really. The Bristol Channel Cutter has a very large galley, especially when compared to other boats her size, and we're not doing anything to get rid of that bonus. But the tile is heavy, dated, and hard to clean. We're redoing the engine cover (where you see the steps attached) because the new engine is smaller than the one we took out. We're changing out the refrigerator, and the chart table, and the quarterberth. We've already gotten rid of the old "swing up and hook in place" cabinet openings that opened to almost unusably-small spaces; the plan is larger ones with smoked glass sliding covers.

So last weekend, while Jeremy was templating the new bunk in the main salon, I started swinging a mallet (okay, it was a 2x4 that wound up splitting into fragments . . .) against a crowbar and removed the counters.

  "after"

"after"

 I salvaged what teak I could, made endless trips to the dumpster, and employed the shop vac endlessly. Bring on project galley! 

Because we don't have enough to do.