We’re racing against time here, trying to do as much as we can on the bunk project before Carol and Dave return on December 7. Normally this time of year we hunker down at home, ticking off house items and being lounge lizards. Who wants to work on the boat when it’s freezing out?
Not this year.
This year we are heading to the boat every single weekend we can. Having the river house to stay in means we can leave the boat a mess, with details like cushions and floor space more like cavalierly dismissed thoughts.
We’ve measured and planned. (There was a LOT of blue tape involved.) Sanded fiberglass and glassed in support strips for the wooden strips that will go against the hull. Ripped out interior bits like the galley and even removed the table. Templated the new bunk with strips of thin wood.
Earlier this week, Jeremy took a trip to Blue Ridge Builders Supply, a local hardware store, and came home with plywood. MDO plywood for the bulkheads and the top of the bunk, birch plywood for the seat back, and even a sheet of 1/4 inch birch plywood so he can re-craft the forward hatch (which has leaked almost since we bought the boat.)
He set up a workshop in the dining room, we moved in the plywood, he used some booze bottles (and me) as helpers in the whole process, and he cut out our bunk.
Now on to the installation!!