Vegetables. Awesome raw, or roasted. In salads, or tossed on the grill.
Also awesome in a stew where the flavors meld into something greater than their individual parts, cooked to a perfect combination of crisp and tender.
VEGETABLE STEW (not quite ratatouille)
1/2 lb mushrooms
1 can diced tomatoes
oregano, basil, salt, pepper
(can sprinkle with gremolata, or stir in pesto. But good on its own!)
1. Peel and cube the eggplant. Line a microwave-safe baking dish with paper towels and place the eggplant on it. Microwave for 8 minutes or until shriveled and dried out.
2. Wedge the onions.
3. Slice the mushrooms, zucchini, and peppers.
4. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat until it shimmers.
5. Add in the onions and stir until they start to turn brown.
6. Add in the mushrooms and the zucchini and cook for about 1 minute.
7. Stir in the eggplant and 1 heaping tsp each basil and oregano.
8. Open the can of tomatoes and pour it into the skillet, stirring.
9. Simmer for 30 minutes or until the vegetables are crisp-tender and ready to be devoured. YUM!
Perfect as a topping for baked potatoes, pasta, rice. As a side dish for meats. Use any leftover as a crazy delicious pizza topping. The possibilities are endless!