Once upon a time there was a pound of strawberries that wanted something a bit different. Nothing crazy, or off the wall. Nothing that involved hours of chopping or cooking or pureeing. Maybe something that had 1 or maybe 2 other friends to accompany the bright red berries.
They decided to go for a swim.
Okay, not exactly. Me. I decided to make them swim. In their own juices.
This time of year screams strawberries. They're everywhere. Piles of them at the market. Round red orbs peeking out between straw blades in the garden, if you have such a thing. And sure, you can just grab a handful and munch away.Â
That's delicious right there.
Sometimes, though, you want a bit more. A bit more fuss, perhaps. A bit more juice, maybe. But nothing over the top.
All it takes is sugar and a bit of time. Maybe a piece of candied ginger, if you like the addictive kick of heat that takes it into the unexpected.
- 1 lb or more fresh strawberries, washed, stemmed and sliced or diced
- 2 TBS sugar
- (optional - chunk candied ginger, chopped into tiny bits!)
- Put berries in a bowl. A pretty bowl makes this festive. They're worth festive.
- Sprinkle with sugar and ginger, if using. Toss to combine (GENTLY!!!)
- Let sit for 30 minutes or so, until the fruit starts to release its delicious juices.
- Eat. On whatever you want. (want a delicious recipe for shortcake?)