Snacks. Maybe you're in the sweet camp. Maybe you're in the salty one. As long as you prefer the crunchy variety (and is there any snack worth eating that's NOT crunchy???), you can adapt this recipe to fit the bill.
Me, I go for salt. So my spice mixture is salty, or at the very least savory. Stay tuned for a couple of variations on a theme, which I'll include in the recipe notes after the video.
ROASTED CHICK PEAS (makes about 3 cups)
- 1 lb dried chick peas (also known as garbanzo beans), soaked overnight and drained
- 2 TBS olive oil
- spice mixture of your choice - I use:
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400
2. In a shallow baking pan, spread the chick peas out in a single layer
3. Drizzle with olive oil, then sprinkle with the spice mixture. Toss to coat.
4. Spread out into a single layer again.
5. Bake at 400 for 20 minutes, then check and stir. Bake another 10-20 minutes, or until crispy and browned lightly.
Spice variations (you're after about 2.5 tsp, or a very scant tablespoon, of spices.
SWEET: cinnamon, ginger, brown sugar, and cloves
WARM: curry powder, salt, cumin, garlic
Other sweet: vanilla, brown sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon
Try your own version of whatever sounds good to you!