Beets. I've loved beets since my grandmother shared them with me some random Saturday (I think - does it matter?). I love them shaved, or roasted, or boiled, or slivered into salads. I'm the weirdo who gets a handful at the salad bar and stains the plate with their gorgeous, earthy sweetness.
Once upon a time in the land of dorms and dining halls, I was sick and my best friend decided to be nice and bring me a tray. A gleam in her eye as she presented the tray - mac and cheese, probably. Maybe a piece of chicken. And beets.
She thought it was a joke.
I thought she knew me better than I ever had guessed.
This beet salad will turn naysayers into converts, even if just for how it looks!
Best Ever Beet Salad - serves 2-3
- 4 cooked beets (can use a can, a package of cooked beets you find at the grocery store, or you can cook them yourself.)
- 2 oz (about 3 handfuls) of baby arugula
- 3 oz goat cheese crumbles
- 3-4 TBS roasted pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 lemon
- 2 TBS olive oil
- Layer the arugula on a platter or shallow bowl
- Chop the beets into bite size pieces, then scatter them on top of the arugula.
- Sprinkle the goat cheese on top.
- Scatter the pumpkin seeds over it all.
- Squeeze the half lemon evenly over the salad, then drizzle with olive oil